Are you looking for the best breast pump to stimulate your milk production and increase your breast milk supply? Today, there are hundreds of breast pumps on the market ranging in prices, performance, and quality. So, how do you know which one to choose? Below we’ve compiled a list of the best breast pumps on the market, we discuss the pros and cons, and where to buy them!
Common Breast Pump Questions
1. What Is a Breast Pump?
2. What Types of Breast Pumps Are Available?
There are several types of breast pumps on the market, including hospital-grade electric breast pumps, personal electric breast pumps, and manual breast pumps. Manual breast pumps require the use of a pressing motion with your own hands to create the suction for these pumps. These small, quiet pumps are great for travel or occasional pumping, and are about the size of a bottle. Some require two hands, while others require only one.
Personal electric breast pumps can be double electric breast pumps, which quickly and efficiently empties both breasts at the same time. They usually come in a carrying case with the option to attach to an electrical outlet or use battery power. They often feature a cooler storage for transporting the milk back home if you are at work or elsewhere. A single electric breast pump is ideal for when you are nursing with the infant on one side.
Hospital-grade electric breast pumps have powerful motors and will clean you out in no time flat. They are usually quiet, but cost upwards of $1,000 to own, so most women rent these.
3. Do You Need a Breast Pump?
Women who want to breastfeed but are returning to work, or who want to allow other family members to bond with the infant, need a breast pump.
4. When Do You Need a Breast Pump?
Use a breast pump when your little one is between three and four weeks old. This gives your baby adequate time to establish breastfeeding and make sure she does not prefer a bottle nipple over a real one. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, you should try to breastfeed exclusively for the first six months, and start feeding baby food along with nursing through the end of baby’s first year.
5. How Much Are Breast Pumps?
Breast pumps range in price anywhere from $30.00 to $900.00. This pricing is generally based on the pumps ease of use, level of comfort, and effectiveness.
How We Pick the Top 10
We’ve scoured the web for the best of the best breast pumps on the market, so you don’t have to. Each product in our list has been extensively researched to ensure we can provide you with unbiased pros and cons. We base much of our search on the breast pump’s pricing, feature list, warranty coverage, and where you can buy it. These factors will make your hunt for the best breast pump much easier.
Top 10 Best Breast Pumps
- INCLUDES: Spectra S1 Hospital Grade Double/Single Breast Pump, 12 Volt AC Power Adapter, Detachable Power Cord Prongs,...
- CLOSED SYSTEM: No need to clean the narrow tubing because Spectra S1 has a closed pumping system that keeps tubing dry...
- RECHARGEABLE BATTERY: Spectra S1 has a convenient, inbuilt rechargeable battery.
One of the things that make the Spectra S1 Breast Pump truly unique, is that it can be operated with both batteries and a power cord. Not being tethered to a power cord or to one corner of your house is a freedom you’ll be glad to have. Not to mention this is one of the quietest breast pumps on the market, ensuring a relaxing pumping experience.
- Medela is the #1 Physician Recommended Breast Pump Product in the U.S.*
- DOUBLE ELECTRIC BREAST PUMP: Pump in Style is designed for daily use and moms who pump several times a day, thanks to...
- EASY PORTABILITY: Conveniently built in to its discreet tote bag and equipped with a portable battery pack, Pump in...
This is perhaps the best breast pump for portability. The powerful double electric pump is built into the unassuming black tote. Everything you need to pump is held in other compartments, so it is simple to set up and pack up quickly. It features two-phase pumping technology to simulate how your infant feeds, so you can adjust the speed and letdown feature to pump efficiently. It also comes with a battery pack and power cord, so you are not tied to an outlet. All you need is batteries.
- Medela is the #1 Physician Recommended Breast Pump Product in the U.S*
- Double, electric, daily-use breast pump designed for moms who pump several times a day
- Compact and lightweight for mobile pumping and easy interaction with digital display, memory, timer and backlight
This breast pump features double pumping, is electric, and is designed for daily-use by moms who pump multiple times each day. Easily adjust the speed and vacuum combinations to ensure a comfortable pump setting. It features an adjustable speed and vacuum settings, back-lit display, and pumping timer.
- Award winning and best sellers. Recommended by nursing moms, magazines, celebrities, doulas and lactation consultants....
- Patented design. Pat. No. USD808,006S. Perfect for anywhere - haakaa breast pump cann fit anywhere you would like to...
- Updated suction base ensuring your pump will not fall over meaning no spills! The silicone flower stopper is designed to...
This is the best breast pump if your pumping needs are not very high. It is made of 100% food-grade silicone, and is super affordable for the quality and ease-of-use it provides. This silicone breast pump is patented and recommended by lactation consultants, doulas, celebrities, magazines, and nursing moms. It is an award-winning best seller.
- This Standard (25 mm) Flanges Replacement Parts/kit is compatible with all Ameda breast pumps.
- Use this kit to replace your original breastpump parts or to keep an extra set.
- Kit with Standard (25mm) Flanges with Insert (22.5mm) Valves, Diaphragms, Adapter Caps, Tubing, Adapter, Silicone...
The Ameda Purely Yours pump could be considered the best breast pump for daily use with its portable, and safe, closed-system. This pump uses Proven Airlock Protection™ to create a barrier to help protect milk, all while keeping your tubing dry for utmost sanitation and safety. Not to mention the CustomControl™ feature that allows users to mimic a nursing rhythm of their preference.
- 💗 Effective: with idc technology you can control left and right pumps independently
- 💗 Powerful: provide suction up to 250mmhg, no suction reduction while dual pumping
- 💗 Safe and clean: fda approved! bpa free! closed system, anti-flow design, and very easy to clean
One of the most helpful features of the BelleMa Effective Pro Double Electric breast pump is the long power cord. This allows you much more freedom, but that isn’t the only thing BelleMa has going for it. This closed-system has a double electric pump enabling both left and right independent controls. With its customization and manageable weight, this is an ideal, go-to solution.
- More comfortable pumping position due to unique design.
- Soft, textured massage cushion helps stimulate milk flow
- Compact, lightweight design of the pump body makes it easy to hold and position on your breast
The Philips Avent Manual Comfort Breast Pump is one of the best portable pumps on the market. Instead of the long, skinny, bottles most other brands use, the Philips Avent has a short and wide bottle attached, making it much easier to maneuver. All you super-moms out there take note: this portable breast pump can be operated using just one hand! What’s more? To clean it, simply sterilize it in the microwave by soaking it in boiling water.
- EASY AND CONVENIENT PUMPING: The Medela Harmony Breast Pump is a manual pump that has been designed for occasional use....
- ERGONOMIC SWIVEL HANDLE: Designed for ease of use, the Harmony Breast Pump features a soft-touch, ergonomic swivel...
- 2-PHASE EXPRESSION TECHNOLOGY: Unique to Medela breast pumps, this research-based and patented design allows mothers to...
The Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump is arguably the best manual breast pump available to consumers. Unlike many other manual pumps, the Medela Harmony is simple, clean, and easy to use. Forget about worrying about running out of batteries or not being able to find an outlet. With the Medela Harmony, you can discreetly pump, when you need to, wherever you need to.
- Compatible pump not included.Compatible with Freemie Freedom Double Electric and Equality Double Manual pumps, Medela...
- Includes Standard Connection Kit for compatible Medela and Hygeia pumps
- Connection Kits for Ameda, Philips, Lucina and NUK sold separately (Freemie part FG020)
The Freemie system was designed by a working mother and physician. It features concealable collection cups designed to hold 8 oz. of milk, an integrated breast funnel, and tubing connection kit. The pump connection kit allows you to interrupt and resume pumping at your convenience. It is made of BPA-free, latex-free, and DEHP-free materials. It also comes with an adjustable pump vacuum.
- INCLUDES: Spectra S2 Hospital Grade Double/Single Breast Pump, 12 Volt AC Power Adapter, Detachable Power Cord Prong,...
- CLOSED SYSTEM: No need to clean the narrow tubing because Spectra S2 has a closed pumping system that keeps tubing dry...
- CUSTOMIZABLE SETTINGS: Each mother can customize her pump's settings to her own body's response and follow her flow to...
This model features a hygienic closed system with a bacteriostatic filter to prevent contaminants. It comes with an adjustable cycle speed and strength. It also comes with a night light with two settings and a timer and BPA- and DEHP-free materials.
At the end of the day, there is a breast pump out there for everyone. Different moms have different needs. Once you’ve figured out what is most important to you in a breast pump, whether that be features, suction power, customization ability, or more; you can find a breast pump that fit your needs, comfort, lifestyle, and budget.
We had two winners for the best breast pump: the Spectra Baby USA S1, and the Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump. Why did these win out amongst the competition? Here’s why:
The Spectra Baby USA S1
As one Amazon consumer simply put it, “Buy this pump. Seriously, stop looking, buy it.” With over nine hundred 5 star reviews on Amazon, the Spectra Baby USA S1 is clearly a crowd favorite. With built-in rechargeable batteries, hospital strength pumping and suction, and digital controls, the power of the Spectra Baby USA S1 is unparalleled.
Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump
With over one thousand 5 star reviews on Amazon, the Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump had to tie for the number one spot. Not only does this portable system boast BPA safe materials, it features 2-phase technology to express breast milk even easier.
What makes this pump one of the best breast pumps available on the market today, is the fact that it doesn’t require power. Not worrying about charging your pump or running out of batteries is something you’ll only appreciate after you’ve been pumping for a while. There’s no better peace of mind knowing you always have the capability to pump when you need to.