Most families spend considerable time with their children in vehicles driving for travel, work, shopping, or other adventures. Just as you want to be comfortable during those times, you also want your child to be comfortable and safe. That’s why you need one of the best car seats available.
This article provides a comprehensive review of the 10 best car seats currently on the market. Our scope of consideration was originally much larger than that, but when we began comparing the products’ features, benefits, disadvantages, and prices, we were able to condense our list of the best car seats down to those we’ve featured here. We’ve been sure to give you all the details you need to know to make a better, informed decision before purchasing a seat to safeguard your precious cargo.
How We Reviewed
A good car seat grows with your child from infancy to toddlerhood. In this review, we detail some of the best car seats according to various important considerations, as their prices, pros, cons, and features. We also reviewed their different consumer reports and crash test ratings.
Overall Price Range of the Best Car Seats
Most of the car seats in this review range from $ to $$$. The prices differ according to each seat’s unique features and its manufacturer’s choice of materials. Some more expensive car seats, for instance, double as stroller combos, while others boast self-adjusting features.
What We Reviewed
- Britax Allegiance Convertible Car Seat
- Graco 4Ever 4-in-1 Convertible Car Seat
- Safety 1st Grow and Go 3-in-1 Convertible Car Seat
- Evenflo Triumph LX Convertible Car Seat
- Britax Advocate ClickTight Convertible Car Seat
- Graco Extend2Fit Convertible Car Seat
- Chicco Bravo Trio Travel System
- Maxi-Cosi Pria 85 Max Convertible Car Seat
- Britax Marathon ClickTight Convertible Car Seat
- Evenflo Tribute LX Convertible Car Seat
Top 10 Best Car Seats Reviews
1. Britax Allegiance Convertible Car Seat – 5 to 65 Pounds – Rear
- Easy installation: Push button LATCH connectors and built in lock offs make car seat installation a breeze
- No rethreading, ever: Quick adjust 10 position harness (8.5 to 17.5 inches) with headrest grows along with your child
- Easy clean up: Remove the car seat cover without removing the harness
The arrival of the Britax Allegiance car seat in the market was a relief to many parents. This quality convertible seat is easy to install using the LATCH push button and lock-offs. The LATCH makes an extra layer of protection for infants. It has a no-rethreading harness adjustable to 10 different positions.
Britax Allegiance is an easy-to-clean seat that only requires the removal of its cover. The seat is engineered to absorb side and base impacts and to reduce forward movement during sudden collisions. With a rear-facing range from five to 40 pounds and a forward-facing capacity from 20 to 65 pounds, it is one of the best car seats available.
- Easy to install using LATCH push buttons
- Worth the price for resulting quality and features
- Designed keys on safety
- Less comfort due to less padding
- Difficult to install using straps
This convertible car seat comes with a two-year limited warranty.
2. Graco 4Ever 4 in 1 Convertible Car Seat | Infant to Toddler Car Seat
- 4 in 1 Graco car seat gives you 10 years of use from four to 120 pounds
- Rear facing baby car seat from 4 to 40 pounds
- Forward facing toddler car seat from 22 to 65 pounds
Graco 4Ever 4-in-1 is one of the best car seats we could find for parents looking for a seat to last over the long haul. You can use this same Graco product for a child up to 10 years old since it supports up to 120 pounds. Its rear-facing configuration can carry from 4 to 40 pounds, but as the child grows, this product converts to a forward-facing seat capable of handling 20-65 pounds. This seat has a single latch that can be altered between modes for easy installations.
- Easy installation using either LATCH or a seatbelt
- Converts easily from backless and high back modes
- Easy to clean
- The seat belt installation does not include inbuilt lock offs
Graco 4Ever 4-In-1 Convertible Seat comes with a 10-year warranty.
3. Safety 1st Grow and Go All-in-One Car Seat, Blue Coral
- Pressure cooker 8 quart ceramic non stick interior coating, plastic PTFE and PFOA free. Dimensions: 10.16 x 7.02 inches
- Genuine instant pot pressure cooker accessory; dishwasher safe perfect for slow cooking, rice cooking
- Having a second instant pot inner pot makes it easy and convenient to prepare multiple dishes
Safety 1st Grow and Go 3-in-1 convertible seat triumphs in reliability and fit. Its rear-facing configuration supports infants weighing from 5 to 40 pounds. As a forward-facing seat, it holds toddlers from 22 to 65 pounds. And, as a belt-positioning booster seat, it safely supports children weighing from 40 to 100 pounds.
Users rank Safety 1st’s seat among the best car seats for its three reclining positions. It also features user-friendly harness holders that make it easier to move into and out of the seat. And, parents can use the quick fit harness to adjust both the headrest and harness. As if those weren’t features that weren’t enough, this car seat has two integrated cup holders to keep snacks and drinks at hand.
- Converts easily to a booster
- Removable cover for easy cleaning
- 3 recline positions for child’s comfort
- Works with a range of children’s ages
- Integrated cups are dishwasher safe
- For smaller infants, it requires manual adjustment
Safety 1st backs its convertible seat with a one-year limited warranty.
4. Evenflo Triumph LX Convertible Car Seat, Everett
- This Convertible Car Seat helps protect rear facing infants from 5-40 pounds and forward facing toddlers from 22-65…
- Evenflo’s proprietary e3 Side Impact Protection significantly reduces side impact crash forces up to 50% through 3…
- Quick Connector Latch System allows you to quickly and safely move this convertible car seat around multiple vehicles
Evenflo Triumph LX meets the needs of many parents while keeping them within budget. It is easy to install, easy to use, and it is comfy for kids. This convertible seat grows with your child from the rear-facing position (5-40 pounds) to the forward-facing position (22-65 pounds.) The single latch and tether straps simplify this seat’s installation.
Evenflo built this seat with a thick, no-rethreading harness that can be adjusted into five positions. It also has two integrated cup holders for easy access to snacks. One feature that makes this one stand out as one of the best car seats is its pro-comfort cover. Composed of a gel matrix, this cover eases the pressure to keep any child extremely comfortable.
- Easy to install
- Seat cover is removable and machine-washable
- Gel matrix seat cover keeps child comfortable
- Harness is adjustable to child’s height
- LATCH supports a weight of up to 45 pounds
- Has no harness strap covers
- Has no built-in lock-off for installing seatbelt
Evenflo backs its product with a 90-day limited warranty.
5. Britax Advocate ClickTight Convertible Car Seat | 3 Layer Impact
- Easy installation: Patented ClickTight makes car seat installation as simple as buckling a seat belt
- No rethreading, ever: Quick adjust 14 position harness with Click & Safe Snug Indicator gives a click sound when the…
- Adjust accurately: Harness indicator gives an audible click when you’ve pulled to the proper tightness
This Britax Advocate model’s ClickTight feature alone earns it a place as one of the best car seats we reviewed. It enables a parent to an easy install this seat into any vehicle.
This seat’s 14 harness positions make it more accommodating than others. It protects your children in its rear-facing configuration (5-40 pounds), as well as in a forward-facing position (20-65 pounds.) Additionally, Britax tapped this seat with a 10-year expiration date, meaning you can use it for several children.
- ClickTight mechanism for easy installation
- Has 7 recline positions for easy adjustment
- 3 layers protect your child from a side impact
- Its wide size is a disadvantage for some users
This seat comes with a one-year limited warranty.
6. Graco Extend2Fit Convertible Car Seat | Ride Rear Facing Longer
- Convertible car seat grows with your child from rear-facing harness (4-50lbs) to forward-facing harness (22-65 pounds)
- Made of Steel reinforced | Product dimensions – 20.75” D x 19” W x 24.5” H | Product weight – 19.25 lbs.
- Up to 50 pounds rear facing, allowing your child to safely ride rear-facing longer
The Graco Extend2Fit Convertible Car Seat has an InRight LATCH system that allows for easy installation. Your child’s comfort is enhanced by 6 reclining positions and an adjustable headrest. The rear-facing limit of this seat is one of the highest we found — from 4 to 50 pounds. And, forward-facing, this seat supports 22-65 pounds.
Longer rides will be no problem since this seat has a four-position leg extension providing an additional room. The Graco Extend2Fit has been crash-tested and proven to be one of the best car seats you can buy.
- 4-position leg extension for extra comfort
- Harness is replaceable
- Easy LATCH and seatbelt installation
- Difficult to remove and replace the seat cover for cleaning
- Difficult to install with seatbelt
Graco Extend2Fit comes with a one-year limited warranty.
7. Chicco Bravo Trio Travel System, Papyrus
- The Chicco Bravo Trio System Includes Bravo Stroller, Key Fit 30 Infant Car Seat and Base
- Stroller features removable seat for easy transformation into a stylish frame carrier for the Key Fit.A gorgeously woven…
- Stroller features one-hand fold, auto-positioning wheels and a self-standing compact folded position
Chicco produces one of the best car seats and stroller combinations on the market. This seat includes a bravo stroller, a key fit 30 infant car seat, a car seat base, and a parent tray with storage and cup holders. You can remove the seat and change it into a Key Fit frame carrier. It is designed for use by children from 4 to 30 pounds who are 30 inches tall.
- Comes with an adapter that enables the use of both the KeyFit and Bravo
- Has several reclining positions
- Removable seat to change from Bravo to KeyFit carrier
- It does not have an in-built lock-off device
Warranty information can be retrieved from the manufacturer’s website.
8. Maxi-Cosi Pria 85 Max Convertible Car Seat (CC213EMJ), One Size
- Extended weight range keeps children safely harnessed longer: 5 to 40 pounds rear facing and 22 to 85 pounds forward…
- The only harnessed convertible car seat rated to 85 pounds.
- ClipQuik auto magnetic chest clip gets you on your way quickly
Maxi-Cosi Pria 85 Max has a ClipQuik chest clip — a self-fastening, magnetic clip — that makes it simply outstanding, according to users who have been enormously thankful for this feature. The seat also is LATCH-equipped for ease of installation.
This car seat protects infants in its rear-facing configuration (5-40 pounds) and as a forward-facing seat (22-85 pounds.) The no-rethread harness holders will enable your child to easily move in and out of the seat.
- Extra comfortable padding
- The ClipQuik chest clip adjusts itself
- Easily removable, washable covers
- Takes up a lot of space
- Headrest is difficult to adjust
Maxi-Cosi’s seat comes with a one-year limited warranty.
9. Britax Marathon ClickTight Convertible Car Seat | 1 Layer Impact
- Easy installation: Patented click tight makes car seat installation as simple as buckling a seat belt
- No rethreading, ever: 14 position harness, 2 position buckle for a comfortable fit as your child grows
- Relax and recline: 7 recline positions ensure comfort and the best vehicle installation angle
Britax Marathon ClickTight is one of the best car seats we have. It fits infants of 5-40 pounds as a rear-facing seat and 20-65 pounds as a forward-facing seat. The ClickTight system eases installation, and it offers 14 harness adjustable positions with no rethreading.
The seat can recline in seven positions for your child’s comfort. And, while they are comfortable, they are also safe. This product protects your baby with side impact protection and an impact-absorbing base.
- Reclines in seven positions
- ClickTight system eases installation
- 14 adjustable harness positions provide maximum comfort
- Harness straps are difficult to tighten
Britax backs this seat with a one-year limited warranty.
Enter your text here…
10. Tribute 5 Convertible Car Seat, 2-in-1, Saturn Gray
- Side Impact Tested, Meets or Exceeds All Applicable Federal Safety Standards and Evenflo’s Side Impact Test Standard
- Designed and Tested for Structural Integrity at Energy Levels Approximately 2x the Federal Crash Test Standard. Rear…
- Multiple Shoulder Harness Positions for Better Fit and Longer Use. Age at Least Two Years of Age
If you are shopping for a car seat on a tight budget, then the Evenflo Tribute LX is one of the best car seats you can choose. It is crash tested and meets all safety standards. The washable seat cover is easy to remove, and this seat’s buckles and no-rethread harness are easily adjusted to the baby’s height.
The seat can be installed easily using the LATCH system mechanism. It fits the infant at a rear-facing that is at least 1 inch below the top seatback.
- Easy to install and use
- No-rethread harness can easily be adjusted
- Less comfort due to less padding than others
Evenflo provides a 90-day warranty.
FAQs | Best Car Seats
1. What Is a Car Seat?
A car seat can be an infant-only or a convertible seat made to grow with a toddler, all for the purpose of carrying a child securely in an automobile.
2. What Does a Car Seat Do?
Car seats are installed in vehicles to carry children from the earliest stages of their infancy until the time they have grown to weigh 40-80 pounds and/or 40-50 inches tall. When the child is youngest, the seat should be in a rear-facing position. As the child reaches size regulations, he/she then is seated in a forward-facing position.
3. How Do Best Car Seats Work?
When installed in a vehicle, an infant car seat faces backward and reclines in a manner that the baby is lying down. The baby is fastened into the car seat with a harness, and the seat is secured with the vehicle’s safety belt system.
4. Where Can You Buy Them?
Car seats are sold at baby supply stores. In addition, you can find all the best car seats featured on this list on Amazon.com.
5. How Do You Know You Have Correctly Installed a Car Seat?
A correctly installed car seat should not shift from side to side. It should not have more than an inch of “wiggle room” from the point of its installation.
The baby supply marketplace is flooded with so many options that it can be challenging for any parent to know with certainty that they are buying one of the best car seats available for the comfort and safety of their child. Keeping that in mind, we did extensive research for you and then presented you with our top 10 picks and their various characteristics. With that knowledge in hand, you should be able to make a better, more informed decision best suited for your family.
For us, our research made it clear that of all the best car seats we looked at, our top choice is definitely the Britax Allegiance Convertible Car Seat. Not only is it budget-friendly, but it also comes with several key advantages for parents, including easy installation, easy cleaning, comfort for your child, and an excellent safety rating.