Ahhh … soon it’ll be time for the pitter-patter of little feet! And, coming with that joy, naturally, will be many opportunities for big messes. Whether you are expecting your first child and don’t know quite what to anticipate or you are already a veteran parent who knows the drill, we think you’ll agree that it is important to find the best diaper bag possible to suit all of your baby care needs.
From taking your baby on walking adventures to just hanging out at the grandparents, you’ll want a bag that is just as functional as it is stylish. Some come with exterior pockets handy for stowing quick-grab necessities like pacifiers. Others may come with a foldable pad, so diaper changing on any floor can be done without the worry of what germs you may be laying your child on. And, all the best diapers bags are ones that are easy to clean.
The Best Diaper Bags Are Not All Created Equal
It stands to reason that all the best diaper bags are not the same. Some are simple in design and affordable. Others are fancier, made with high-quality materials, and with an eye to keeping the modern mom or dad in style. Some could even pass for a business briefcase. Some incorporate a multitude of gadgets, zippers, pockets, and maybe even a special keyring. Some are big (maybe too big) and some are small (maybe too small.)
At the end of the day, when you choose one of the best diaper bags on the market, you should let your lifestyle, budget, and every other consideration you may have as a parent help navigate your selection.
There are many mothers who recommend you head into your diaper bag decision-making process with a good checklist of questions to help you sort out which is the best diaper bag to fit your needs.
Questions checklist for best diaper bag selection
- Is it the right size?
- Is it easy to carry?
- Is the strap or handle long enough and removable?
- Can it match everything or is it fashionable?
- Does it have enough zipper compartments?
- Does it have a key holder?
- Does it have a place for a phone?
- Is there a small zipper area for lip balm?
- Are there enough large pockets and storage areas?
- Is the main interior compartment large enough?
So, you see, picking from among the best diaper bags can be made easier if you do a quick rundown of this checklist identifying the features important to you. This list aims to help make your life easier and more efficient.
Buying One of the Best Diaper Bags
Finding the best diaper bag within your budget and with the desired number of compartments, size, and durability to last a few years can be a daunting task.
We did some in-depth research of popular brands of diaper bags on the market today to provide an unbiased assessment and help ease your decision. After thinning the selection to the 10 best diaper bags, we could possibly recommend, we then evaluated each one based on its individual features, benefits, drawbacks, price, durability, etc. so you would know which ones check off your checklist in all the right places.
What We Reviewed
- Skip Hop Messenger Diaper Bag
- Ju-Ju-Be BFF Convertible Diaper Bag
- Petunia Pickle Bottom Boxy Backpack
- Vera Bradley Stroll Around Baby Bag
- Eddie Bauer Backpack Diaper Bag
- 7AM Enfant Voyage
- Diaper Dude Messenger Diaper Bag
- FIVEMAX Diaper Bag Backpack
- Kate Spade New York Blake Avenue Kaylie Baby Bag Diaper Bag
- PacaPod Mirano Diaper Bag
1. Skip Hop Messenger Diaper Bag
- The updated Duo Signature boasts a bevy of new features that moms and dads have requested: zip-top closure ensures…
- New front panel design allows for more storage and stability while keeping items at the bottom of the bag easily…
- The redesigned Duo Signature still has all the classic components of the original including our patented shuttle clips…
This bag features a new zip-top enclosure to secure items in the bag. It also has more versatility for tech gear, as well as includes tote handles for easy carrying. Skip Hop’s new front panel design gives more storage space and makes items at the bottom easy to grab. The company has patented shuttle clips that allow for this diaper bag to convert easily into a stroller bag.
- Lightweight (1.4 pounds)
- Shoulder strap/messenger bag, with tote handles
- 10 pockets, including larger mesh bags and a tech pocket
- Holds up to 15’’-inch laptops or iPads
- Unisex bag
- Comes with changing pad
- Contrasting lining for easy visibility
- Not as durable as some other bags of similar pricing
This bag is less durable than some.
2. Ju-Ju-Be BFF Convertible Diaper Bag
- Organization: 4 gusseted pockets and 3 zippered pockets in main compartment; 2 bottle pockets with Thinsulate by 3M;…
- Fabric: Agion-treated interior resists bacteria, mold and mildew; Teflon-treated exterior resists stains; Machine…
- Extras: Crumb drain; Metal hardware; Magnetic closures; Luggage feet; Detachable, Adjustable messenger/tote strap with…
Ju-Ju-Be’s bag includes multiple storages and carry options. It’s machine-washable, and also features antimicrobial lining so you can ward off things like mold and other odor-causing bacteria. It also has a variety of zippered areas for a phone, wallet, keys, and other personal belongings. The large area of the bag is enough to hold a smaller blanket, enough diapers, and other things for your baby for a day or overnight stay.
- 5 colors
- Use as a backpack, with carry handles or with shoulder strap
- Memory foam straps add comfort
- Antimicrobial liner
- Insulated for hot or cold food items
- Higher cost bag
- Heavy before loading (2.6 pounds)
This product is durable and machine-washable.
3. Petunia Pickle Bottom Boxy Backpack
- THE ULTIMATE DIAPER BAG – Boxy Backpack was created with the modern mom in mind. It comes complete with intuitive…
- FASHIONABLE & FUNCTIONAL – Don’t compromise on style or practicality. Our backpack’s efficient design has an extra…
- CONVENIENCE IS KEY – Our backpack has 5 interior pockets and 2 exterior pockets for bottles. The useful baby changing…
This diaper bag features a variety of colors and has a built-in changing station, a number of organizational pockets, and several carrying options. You can also get it in a variety of fabrics, colors, and patterns, so it suits your personal style.
- Versatile and lightweight
- Built-in changing station
- Comes in a variety of prints, colors, and fabrics
- Stroller straps
- Key clip, five pockets and bottle pockets
- Snaps for extra security
- Pocket for backpack straps when they are not in use
- Slightly heavy before loading (2.5 pounds)
This product is durable and comes in a variety of polyester fabrics.
4. Vera Bradley Stroll Around Baby Bag
- MACHINE WASHABLE SIGNATURE COTTON — The fabric you know & love, our quilted cotton is lightweight yet durable, & comes…
- BEST MOMMY BAG — We thought of everything you need in your baby bag, including removable stroller strap which allows…
- CHANGE READY — Never worry about a baby changing emergency with our washable built-in changing pad, & stay organized…
This diaper bag is colorful, lightweight, machine-washable, and overall a fully functional, yet fashionable diaper bag. Vera Bradley’s product has adjustable straps, two exterior zippered pockets. It is simple, luxurious and the design is festive enough to brighten anyone’s day.
- Lightweight (1.36 pounds)
- Machine-washable cotton for easy cleaning
- Can double as an overnight bag
- 10 fabric color selections
- Contains two large exterior zippered pockets
- Not enough pockets
- Higher priced on our spectrum
- Not very versatile
This product is cotton, durable, and is machine-washable. It is built to last.
5. Eddie Bauer Backpack Diaper Bag
- Exceptional organization with 11 pockets including 2 exterior insulated bottle pockets; secure zippered pocket and top…
- Spacious interior for ultimate storage and organization
- Removable changing pad and wipes case included for on the go diapering
This product is loaded with function and style. It has many features, not the least of which are its 11 organizational pockets. It comes with two insulated pockets perfect for food or bottle storage. There is a large zippered pocket in the front for keys, wallets, cell phones, and anything else you need to store on the go. Eddie Bauer also made sure it is equipped with a white case and a changing pad.
- 11 pockets
- Handy tech pocket in front
- Multifunctional, with 3 ways to wear: backpack, handle, and over the shoulder
- Comfortable to carry
- Stroller loops
- A little heavy at 2 pounds
- Only cleans with a damp cloth, so deep cleaning is out of the question
This product is durable and built to last, but is not machine-washable.
6. 7 AM Enfant Voyage
- Spacious interior mesh pockets and zippered interior pocket for safe wallet storage
- Strap with clip for securing keys
- Two large exterior pockets with magnetic closures and two mesh exterior side pockets for easy access to bottles
This is a lightweight, water-repellent, fleece-lined bag, with multiple zippered pockets and an insulated lunch box to keep meals/snacks at the ready. You can use it as a shoulder bag, or carry it by the handles. It also allows for hands-free use when you attach it to a stroller. Mesh pockets are featured on the interior for holding baby toys or bottles.
- Unisex in style
- Small and large sizes
- Ultra-lightweight at 1 pound
- Attachable to strollers
- Only comes in black
- Less sturdy
- Not easily cleaned
This product is less durable and not machine-washable.
7. Diaper Dude Messenger Diaper Bag
- A diaper bag that dad won’t shy away from.
- Specially designed for hip dads (and moms.)
- Durable nylon; ergonomic, across-the-chest design; wide, adjustable padded strap
Diaper Dude designed its functional bag with dads in mind. It’s an ergonomic, across-the-chest, wide messenger bag that comes in “manly” colors. It features a large main compartment, three exterior zippered pockets, and elastic bottle holders on each end of the bag.
- Built-in shoulder clips
- Three exterior pockets (five total)
- Large interior compartment
- Ergonomic chest strap design
- 2 elastic bottle holders
- Suitable for carrying by a man
- Not unisex
- Only a shoulder strap/messenger
This bag, made of polyester and nylon, is more durable than most diaper bags. It’ll last for quite some time.
8. FIVEMAX Diaper Bag
- 【What You’ll Get】1x FIVEMAX Diaper Backpack/Bag & 1 x Changing Pad (Backpack Dimension: 11.8”L x 7.8”W x…
- 【Exquisite Workmanship】 Fine Crafted, Hand-Stitched, Polyurethane Wrapped Zipper, Soft Yet Sturdy Built, Intimately…
- 【Easy to Use & Easy to Clean】 FIVEMAX Baby Diaper Backpack is User-Friendly, Made with Multilayer Composite…
Graco’s bag is functional and stylish, with multiple compartments and a large interior. It contains large pockets on the inside but also includes individual storage compartments for moms. It also has multiple exterior zippered pockets and can hold an insulated bottle and wipe dispenser. There are also many pockets for keys, cell phones, wallets, etc. — making it a try carryall.
- Easy to organize
- Made with high-quality polyester
- Comes with a removable changing pad and tons of pockets
- Large interior for organization
- Wipe dispenser area
- Versatile, all-in-one
- Only backpack handles
- Only comes in black and gray
- Spot cleaning only
This bag is a high-quality polyester product built to last.
9. Kate Spade New York Diaper Bag
- Durable woven nylon with crosshatched leather trim
- Comes with changing mat, Inside has zip pocket, and slip pockets
- Measures approximately 14″ (L) at bottom tapering to 18″ (L) at top x 12″ (H) x 5.5″ (W)
This is a luxurious leather diaper bag, more like a large lady’s purse or briefcase. It features two side pockets and a magnetic back pocket as well as a changing mat. It also has a zipped area, insulated for a bottle.
- Luxury item
- Comes with a white clean lining
- Insulated bottle holder
- Changing mat
- Expensive for the average family
- Only two color choices (black and tan leather)
- More like a large lady’s purse or briefcase
- Heavy (3 pounds)
- Not washable
Built to last a long time. It is not machine-washable, but can easily be wiped out on its interior.
10. PacaPod Mirano Diaper Bag
This bag is a more stylish design. It features soft leather and a fashion buckle. It is a durable and discrete, yet fashionable bag for moms while they tote around baby items. The diaper bag features a compartment pod that can detach.
- Heavy-duty canvas
- Can detach pod for storing changing and feeding items
- Similar to a bucket handbag
- Heavy at almost 3 pounds
- Not washable
This bag, which combines canvas and leather, is very durable.
These best diaper bags can be found easily if you review what is important to you and already have a list of items you absolutely need to carry with you. When looking at all the materials, the best diaper bag is one that is lightweight, of an affordable, mid-range price, and one that can be cleaned. It must have enough pockets for storing essential items.
In our opinion, you can’t go wrong by choosing any of the 10 best diaper bags on our list. However, our top choice is the Diaper Dude Messenger Diaper Bag. Created with fathers in mind, it comes in three masculine colors. It is ergonomic and comfortable to carry, features a variety of storage and zippered compartments, and ample room to carry not only baby products but also essential adult items. It is durable, built to last, affordable at $60, user-friendly, and our clear-cut choice among the best diaper bags currently on the market.